Welcome to the Mission Society of Enrolled Agents (MSEA)
The Mission Society of Enrolled Agents is a nonprofit professional association of over 300 members, offering education and networking opportunities to tax preparers in the South San Francisco Bay Area.
Please, feel free to browse our website to see the services we offer as well as the many helpful resources we provide. When you are ready to learn more about what we can do for you, we encourage you to contact us.
Filing Separately & 199A Issues for Registered Domestic Partners
California couples filing separately have always presented a unique challenge to the tax practitioner due to the complex community property rules. Both married couples and registered domestic partners must follow these rules, but the tax return treatment is vastly different. Identifying community property under state law, how the IRS interprets it for tax return and representation purposes, and then dividing income and expenses on the returns take knowledge, diligence and a whole lot of patience to produce correct results. Recent CA legislation (SB 30) opening up RDP status to anyone over 18 will likely mean that the number of CA RDP returns will increase significantly in the future. Are you up to the challenge?
- What is community property?
- How does it apply to married couples?
- How does it differ for taxation purposes for California registered domestic partners?
- How is community property treated for IRS collection purposes?
- How is it treated for the Section 199A?
- How do you prepare a Form 8958 for a married couple? For an RDP?
- What happens when RDPs and married couples dissolve their union?
- Tax planning for separate filers.
Speaker: Cynthia Leachmoore, EA
When: November 19, 2019
Where: Three Flames Restaurant (1547 Meridian Ave San Jose, CA 95125)
ClientWhys 2019 Tax Review and Update Seminar
It took over 30 years to get a major revamp of the tax code. Added complexity means a greater need for quality continuing education and support. The 2019 ClientWhys 8-hour live Tax Review and Update Seminar is sure to impress. Tax laws change, as with that tax professionals need to guide clients through new strategies to maximize their financial return. From business entity selection, pass-through entity tax calculations, to employee/independent contractor issues, taxpayers need your advice more than ever. Choose our Total Practice program or seminar only. Total practice includes the live seminar and unlimited CPE, including our popular webcasts.
- 1-day Live Seminar (3 hrs Fed Update plus 5 hrs of Fed Tax Subjects), including lunch.
- The highly regarded Big Book of Taxes. Includes CA differences throughout. Each attendee will be provided with a condensed printed version of the Big Book of Taxes for easier classroom study, a digital version of the full text for your computer, and a tablet version of the full text. Those desiring a full 900-plus page printed version of the Big Book of Taxes may order one for an additional $75 plus applicable shipping and sales tax.
- Monthly 1-Hour CE On-Demand Webcast with current changes and solutions to knotty problems encountered by our students—solutions to real-life tax issues. No exam needs to be taken; just attendance verification.
- Access to the very popular ClientWhys Tax Forum, where you will get answers to your questions.
- Unlimited CE from ClientWhys’ library of self-study courses and webcasts (including a 2-hour ethics course and 5-hour CA differences course for those who need them for their annual CE requirement).
Total Practice Package: $395 – Where else can you get this much bang for your buck?
Only want to attend the Seminar? No problem, the seminar only package includes items 1,2 & 4 listed above Seminar Only Package: $269
Where: Holiday Inn (1350 N 1st. St. San Jose CA 95112)
When: November 20th, 2019 From 8 am to 4:30 pm.
December 2019 MSEA Annual Holiday Party
Join us for Mission Society’s December 2019 Annual Holiday Party!
Let’s all have mingle, network, and celebrate a successful 2019.
Prior to the Holiday Cheer MSEA Directors will hold our monthly meeting at 5:00pm (until 6:15pm). This is a great opportunity to sit in with your officers and directors to watch Leadership in action. Your attendance is requested!
Holiday Party begins at 6:30pm! FOOD, DRINK & LIVE MUSIC
Music provided by Jerry Sauceda – Dance, R&B, Motown, Jazz Standards, Latin and Country.
In addition to being an incredibly talented vocalist, Jerry Sauceda is an accomplished guitar player and wonderful entertainer.
You may register yourself and up to three guests under your email sign in!
When: December 17, 2019 6:30pm to 10:30pm
Where: Villages Golf & Country Club (5000 Cribari Ln, San Jose, CA 95135)
2020 Cast – In – Concrete Seminar
Come join MSEA as Vicki Mulak, EA, CFP and Claudia Hill, EA, MBT walk us through 2019 Tax Law updates and Tax Legislation. They will be discussing topics such as 2019 changes, Federal and California conformity and non conformity, court cases and regulations, and more.
When: January 16, 2020 8:00am to 4:30pm
Where: Central Christian Church ( 2555 Meridian Ave, San Jose, CA 95124)